Thursday, July 5, 2007

Wait A Minute

I've been here for a while and now things are beginning to get a little clearer. One thing that has been brought home to me lately is that some people here think I am a RICH American. Omigod...funny.

For some reason (I don't know...maybe TV, movies???) some people think I had a big home back in Louisiana (try about 1600 sq. ft. asbestos shingled 3 bdr. 1 bath), big fancy car (2001 Toyota), and lots of money (family business, kid in college, lots of debt).

What I did own is now food for lawyers in my divorce and will likely be sold to pay towards my share of child support. My clothes have been given to Goodwill. My personal books, music, pictures...the things that I took for granted are gone. My Mom was able to grab a few bags of my best clothes for me but shipping them here from Texas would cost more than they are worth.

I know that these things are more than most average Serbians can claim. I'm not going to apologize for that. But, rich? Hardly. I was middle class in America. That means I had stuff, courtesy of credit cards and debt. I worked hard to get the things I had. My EX and I had 20+ yr. old furniture and our house needed lots of "fixing up".

The reason I bring this up is because of this wrong impression, these people seem to think that I should be able to buy whatever they are selling. We should be able to lend money to them...whatever. We live on my fiance's salary which is basically the same small salary that everyone else gets. How do I know this? Because, EVERYONE I have met here who works has told me what his/her salary is in our first conversation.

I came here with a few hundred dollars. That's all I have to my name. I don't have a job. All I own now came with me in 2 suitcases and one carry on bag.

I try not to lump all Serbians into one stereotype - I know they are individuals. I wish people here would do the same for Americans.