Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Foods I Miss

Today is the 4th of July. The first one I have ever spent away from the US, and I miss the celebrations, the food and of course, my family.

However, I can't really dwell on that.

Instead, I am thinking of some of the foods that I miss from "back home". While I love the food here in Novi Sad - sarma, fish stew, goulash, etc., I am craving the following dishes (in no particular order):

1. A big thick Whataburger hamburger and fries. Hell, I'd even go the "whole hog" and get it with cheese. Yes, I know there is a McDonald's here in Novi Sad, but I hated that crap in the US and I still don't want it.

2. Micheal Angelo's frozen vegetable lasagne. This is so good. You put a little extra mozzarella on the top and "zap" it in the microwave.

3. A big box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Wow, I really am pitiful. Not exactly gourmet stuff.

4. I am from Louisiana, so of course boiled crawfish must be included in this wish list. With new potatoes and corn on the cob cooked in with the crawdaddies.

5. Some California Rose wine. I really love this, but rose here is expensive and rare. Plenty of good and cheap whites and reds, but not much in blush or rose.

6. Some Bar-B-Q ... anything. Pork ribs, chicken leg quarters, sausage...I'm not picky.

Well, I think that is plenty for now. I really need to stop thinking about it and just go enjoy my day.

Happy 4th to anyone who is American and might be reading this blog today.