Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Kum's Chosen!


Well, our Kum's (best men) are chosen and our wedding will happen shortly. The next few weeks will be very busy for us.

First, we have to go to the Consulate in Belgrade to get some documents notarized so I will satisfy Serbian legal requirements in order to marry my love and have this be a legal marriage that will be recognized by the US as well.

Then we take those documents to City Hall in Novi Sad. A couple of days later, we will be free to set the date and marry.

This is all very exciting. It will be the first time I will go to Belgrade other than at the crack of dawn to catch a plane, or arriving at the airport at the end of an 18 hour plane ride. All I've seen of it so far is the airport and the highway!

The concept of Kum is very interesting. It's a little like what we in America call a best man, but it is so much more. This is what I have been told and gathered from the locals: The best man is someone who is there for you forever. Not just the day of the wedding. The best man can be a man or a woman and the bride has hers and the groom has his. (I found my Kum almost as soon as I got here, but my fiancé just decided on his this past week.) In the most ideal situations, your Kum is a friend you can depend on for life.

I have had people tell me stories of their Kum coming to the rescue in health emergencies and helping them celebrate their children's births and marriages. I haven't seen my Kuma (maid of honor) in probably 25 years and have only recently re-established contact by email with her. In America, people move around so much. My Kuma lives in Arizona now.

Please send us your good thoughts, OK?