Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Grape Picking in Karlovci

On Saturday, we went to the "Grape Picking in Karlovci" festival held in Sremski Karlovci. This annual event is also the first festival I went to when I first came to Serbia in 2006. As a matter of fact, Saturday was the one year anniversary of my arrival!

As is the normal practice at these festivals, booths were set up for wine & rakija tasting, and for selling food, T-shirts, souvenirs, etc. There was also an area set aside for a carnival with rides for kids. I found these leather Serbian-style shoes particularly interesting:

Dancers representing the many ethnic groups in the area were present and performed on a large stage with live music. I had my picture taken with many of them. These young people are very talented and represent their country very well. Here's a couple of the pictures:
These are Serbian costumes:

These are Hungarian costumes:

Here's a group of Macedonian dancers getting ready to go onstage:

This is a group of Serbian dancers onstage:

But, this was my favorite costume and this is my favorite picture from the event. I call him "The Herder". I don't know where the costume comes from or what it means. If any of you out there know, please leave a comment! My fiancé was born and raised in Novi Sad, but doesn't always know the answers to my unending questions.

Several of the food booths were selling fresh roasted suckling pig. I just had to share this image with all of you. (PS - I wasn't the only one taking a picture of this!)

I'll post more pictures on my Flickr site later today. You can go there by clicking HERE It may take me a couple of days to get all of the labels on the pictures because I will have to get with my fiancé to identify some of the costumes and things.