Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Bean Festival in Temerin

This past weekend we attended the "Pasulj i Jada" in Temerin, Vojvodina. Over 100 cooks participated in this contest to cook the best beans. They worked in teams and represented various firms and groups. Most of the ones I saw were men and the women helped keep the food and drink flowing to the guests at each tent. The winning group were our friends from Novi Sad...BRAVO!

Naturally, there was music and dancing in the large grassy area in the middle of the festival site. Here's a picture of some kids who entertained the crowd:



Native crafts were sold as well, beautiful laces, embroidery, handmade jewelry (made from beans), paintings, cotton rugs and purses and delicious wines from Temerin.

There were red, white and rose wines, as well as a wine made from jabuka (apples).
I met lots of very friendly people who were happy to supply me with all of the food and wine I could possibly drink. I posed for pictures with vintners, cooks and locals dressed in costume. Here's a great picture of me with a local vintner who had some fabulous white wine: