Thursday, March 15, 2007

Visit to Montenegro


This past weekend we took a short business trip to Montenegro's capital, Podgorica. Coming in to the city on the train I was excited to see beautiful mountains and little streams running through the countryside. Very beautiful. This photo was taken from the train window.
The train was fairly old, but the sleeping compartment was comfortable. It was tiny, but our party was able to be alone in the room. We had a little pivo (beer) with us to toast the trip and we joked and laughed as people here love to do for a little while before going to sleep. I actually slept a little while on this train, something I have never done on a train in the US.

It was a bright sunny day when we arrived and the air smelled fresh and clean. Our host met us and took us to our small but friendly hotel. Because I am an American, I was treated like royalty by our host. I must admit, it felt very nice to be with people who love and admire America. Most people that I have met in Novi Sad like America, but our host, having visited for a time in New York City and other cities LOVES America.
We sampled the local cuisine at each meal in our hotel and after having cooked at home for practically every meal since I have been here (eating out is too costly), it was nice to let someone else do all the work for a while. The local "black" wine (what red wine is called in Serbia and Montenegro) is very good...smooth and flavorful...not too heavy or sweet. We drank the local water as well as bottled mineral water with no ill effects to my digestion. I'm afraid I can't say the same for the water in some American cities that I have visited!
After several days in Podgorica, we took the train back to Novi Sad. We arrived in early morning and have rested most of this week. The visit was fun and productive, but it's good to be back "home"!