Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Litter - Not Just An American Problem

What struck me the most about the town of Ilok is how clean it is. There was not the ubiquitous litter everywhere. I saw one bottle of soda on the ground next to a school playground. Could have been left that morning before school. It didn't look like it had been there very long. Obviously these people have pride in their town and either don't litter, or employ people to clean it up. In the park I saw many trash receptacles.

I am not trying to be critical , but the litter in the other places I have been to and in Novi Sad is disheartening to me. Along with the endless graffitti, it speaks to me of people who don't feel an ownership in their surroundings. It puzzles me as people are always telling me how proud they are of the clean air, fresh food, etc. Anyway, hopefully, education of the young against littering should eventually help on this. I sure hope so. This area has so much to offer for tourists, but the litter has to be cleaned up and stopped.