Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Update

I know it's been awhile since I posted, but life has been hectic. I've had comments asking how we are doing and sad to say, not well.

My love and I separated a year ago and our divorce was final in May.

He still lives in my city, has a good job and an apartment. We are still friendly.
I would say the communication problem was our biggest one.

I often think of my time in Novi Sad, our friends and the good times. Thinking of these things make me sad and happy at the same time.

Several of our friends in Serbia have suffered from health problems and there have been deaths as well. Seems to be a lot of cancer. I can't help but wonder if our bombs or their own bombs from the various wars contribute to this.

This time in my life was precious and helped me grow as a person. We had our ups and downs and if I had stayed in Novi Sad we would probably still be together. The changes and pace of life in America were just too much. I became independent again and all of the things that American women are and he was overwhelmed by it. I ended up comparing him to an American man and that was unfair too.

If I had it to do all over again, would I? YES, but hopefully I would be gentler on my family and smarter about it all. And I would hope that I would slow down and savor the good things longer.